Friday 17 August 2012

Sendai Tanabata: Origami

I love origami, and other related paper crafts, so this post is just a collection of some close ups of some of the lovely paper folding I found as walking round Tanabata. The amount of work that went into these decorations when they were only up for 3 days amazes me.




Close up of the animals

Lots and lots of cranes...

...this is why.

All of these were solid strings of cranes, and they were giving out necklaces of them too. The message on stars on the left says "No More Hiroshima"

They're not technically origami, but I love these dolls.


Roses

7 comments:

  1. I used to think I was quite good at origami, but now I feel quite inadequate! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any of them are that difficult, it's more the sheer amount that gets me!

      Delete
  2. I love all the little animals!! You can teach me how to make them when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to learn how to make them first!!!

      Delete
  3. I can't do origami, but I love looking at it. (Well. That could be said of yours truly and many skills!)

    It's also nice that you can see colourful chains of paper cranes at shrines all over Japan, at any time of the year.

    PS: Those Tanabata decorations are seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I do enjoy doing origami, but never when there's a Japanese person looking. I can't cope with the fastidiousness!!

      Yeah, I love the strings of cranes too. I started making my own 1000 cranes. I'm at about 150 at the moment. I'll definitely feel too attached to them to leave them at a shrine once I'm done though!

      PS - More prettiness in the next post!

      Delete
    2. I suck at origami (or any other crafty things...) but I love looking at them.

      My Son though absolutely adore doing it. Such patience. He definitely does not inherit my genes. xD

      Delete